Monday, November 3, 2008

Farming in Rune Factory 2


For those Harvest Moon players who pride themselves on knowing the natural 'Harvest Moon' order of things in terms of crops and seasons, Rune Factory 2 will offer a challenge: the old natural order has been reversed in many cases, and you must be ever-vigilant of your own expertise. Some crops like Pineapples continue to be grown in the expected season, but others have been moved to different growing seasons. Onion is a Spring Crop, for example and Eggplant is a Summer Crop. Potato is an Autumn Crop. The flowers appear to be true to form. Moondrop and Toyflower belong to Spring; Pinkcat is grown in Summer and Blue Charm is grown in Autumn. I would have to consult my old Rune Factory Guides to see how the Crops differ in Rune Factory 2. All of the amazing magical plants in the original Rune Factory, such as Emery Flower and Lamp Grass, are available in the sequel.

Carelessness in neglecting to 'read the label' with respect to seeds can be extremely expensive. There are many crops that require more than a full season to grow to maturity. You therefore must limit the crops grown in your own field to those that can be harvested before the season changes. It would be a terrible pity to spend 54000G on a bag of Emery Flower Seeds and then sow them in your field. As they take a full year to mature, you will be saddened to discover they have become nothing more than Withered Grass when Spring changes to Summer...

A clever player will save money in anticipation of the 'monthly sale' announcement. A 30% discount on a bag of seeds that costs 54000G represents considerable savings.

In other ways, however, farming in Rune Factory 2 appears worry-free compared to Island of Happiness. Watering and Sunlight no longer are variable. In fact, you neither can over-water a crop nor waste any water in your watering can. If a plot has been watered previously, your watering can will remain full if you attempt to water it a second time in the course of a day.

Monster help is a great boon both on the farm and in caves/dungeons, but a player should be aware of the fact that any work done by monsters will not serve to increase your character's levels. You need to continue to use your tools and weapons if you wish to increase your levels in this game. A balance needs to be made between the advantages of monster service and those accruing from your own experience.

Something that may require mention is the manner in which seeds and other items are sold at the Pumpkin General Store. Most items are sold in stacks of 9. If your character wishes to purchase a single item, he must separate the item from the stack before he moves it into his rucksack. If you believe that you have sufficient funds for a bag of seeds but find that you are unable to purchase it, you probably have forgotten to separate it from the stack of 9.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

i cant acess to forest bt only grow crops .. need help

Furukawa Nagisa said...

Thanks for the guide ^^
It really helps me a lot when I got stuck somewhere that I don't know.

Freyashawk said...

You are most welcome, Furukawa Nagisa. I still am working on them, by the way!

Anon, I can't understand your comment. If you are speaking of the gates in the Forest, you won't be able to pass further until the next Generation.

Anonymous said...

This is such a nice guide, must've taken such a long time!

I appreciate greatly. :3

Furukawa Nagisa said...

Um thanks for the new item guide Freyashawk ^^. I was hoping when it will come out and it finally did. And the Fishing guide also did help me a lot as well ^^.

Freyashawk said...

You are most welcome, but note that NONE of the guides are complete yet... I still am adding items, values and other information to every single guide for Rune Factory 2. I have a lot of information in my game journals still that must be transferred to the various guides and I am going to add a screen by screen description to the Bestiary and Caves Guide, describing each monster, any Inquisitive Waltz location, any fishing locations and so on...

Tyler Hansen said...

hello i am trying to figure out how to enter the underground shrine for the forest i've completed the tablet and shown it to barret. do i just wait now or do i have to make all the tablets?

Tyler Hansen said...

sorry for lack of comunication the first time this is for Rune Factory 2 btw, i give you props for your title as Mistress of Harvest Moon i've played these games for a very long time lol.

Freyashawk said...

Tyler, a walkthrough of the entire plot of Rune Factory 2, including the Underground Shrines, is in my General Guide as well as my Bestiary and Caves Guide. You will not be able to enter the Underground Shrines until you have defeated Fiersome. When you have all four Tablets from the Underground Shrines, you need to speak to Barrett who then will refuse to give you the Omni-Gate Spell. Take it yourself then from the Library. In any case, there are detailed instructions for every point in the game in my guides. Links to ALL my guides are on the right side of this page.

Kari said...

I would also like to extend my thanks on the wonderful job you do on these guides. It is a vast amount of time and work to make them as up-to-date, accurate and easy to read as they are. I have used them on just about every Harvest Moon game I have played and am finally getting around to thanking you for posting them.

Please continue the good work, it is much appreciated!!

Kari

Anonymous said...

My wife is in her second year with 35 of each runey on the farm, no real runeys elsewhere. Her crops take 30 days to mature and most wither. Any ideas on what she's doing wrong?

Freyashawk said...

Anon, your wife must be playing Rune Factory Frontier, not Rune Factory 2. You will find links to all my guides for Rune Factory Frontier on the right side of this page.

Runeys are a factor only in Rune Factory Frontier. Your wife evidently has created a state of Prosperity on the Homestead, believing erroneously that her farmland is separate from the rest of the land. In fact, ALL districts work together and the more 'dead' areas that exist, the less viable your own farming will be. She needs to begin skimming off Runeys in equal quantities to place on another district, allowing them to grow in balance until she can restore EVERY district. It is almost impossible to maintain balance in all districts constantly as the game randomly drops Runeys of one type onto Districts periodically. You can, however, make certain that every sort of Runey is represented in every district and keep a watchful eye on districts where one sort is threatened with attrition.

Anonymous said...

um i cant run anymore. i just slowly walk around. i've got to the doctor and she says everything is fine. can you please tell me what the heck is going on?

Freyashawk said...

It sounds like a status ailment, Paralysis in fact. Do you see two little lightning bolts over the Energy Bar?

You have to tell Roy that you are sick first if you want him to cure you.
Roy: It seems you've been paralysed. You won't be able to run, so it'll take you longer to get around.

He then will charge 100G.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for the help. i wasnt even aware that i had been paralyzed i just thought my game was messing with me :) oh and thank you for putting so much time and energy into this site and all these wonderful guides. i would probably be lost or broke of worse if it werent for you. you really do deserve you title as the mistress of harvest moon :)

Anonymous said...

i was wondering can i still see the other girls weddings even if i get married but havent started the second generation yet or do i have to be single to witness the other weddings?

Adam said...

Thank you for this, and all your guides. I just started playing RF2.
Your guides helped me with Sunshine Islands, RF1, and Island of Happiness. -^-^-

Freyashawk said...

Thank you, Adam, for your comment. I am glad to know that my guides have been helpful. I think my RF2 guides are among my most comprehensive actually.

Unknown said...

I only have internet at work and on my phone. It takes forever to find anything on my phone, and the security settings at work won't let me access game sites. Is there anywhere besides sites like faq that I can print your walkthrough from? I have grown to rely on your advice to get through these games :o). I'm currently playing Rune Factory 2. I've played most of the other ones, but have almost invariably had to peek at one of your walkthroughs before I finished one lol.

Miyuki Kiryu. said...

I am wondering how I can get to Feirsome without dying from all those monsters attacking me and also on how to defeat feirsome without getting hit by its attacks. Help me please.