Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Starry Night Stocking from Nina






If there is one question that I am asked more than any other in emails, it is how to obtain the stocking for the Starry Night Festival. Whether it is Friends of Mineral Town, More Friends of Mineral Town, Harvest Moon DS or Harvest Moon Cute for DS, although detailed instructions are included in my guides, the question surfaces again and again.

This prompted me to create a step-by-step instruction post here for HM DS and HM Cute for DS. Photographs are included, in case there is any possible uncertainty.

1. Befriend Nina by giving her any flower or wild grass on a daily basis. Maximum FP is 255. You should have her at maximum 255 FP LONG before the first Winter season begins...

2. Buy a sheep from Rick at Yodel's Farm. Shear the sheep and save at least one ball of wool, any size.

3. Order a Maker Barn from Gotz. When it is completed, the Makers will become available at Saibara's smithy. Go to the Third Mine where you will find Adamantite on ANY floor, including the ground floor. With 20,000G and a piece of adamantite, you can order the Yarnmaker from Grey at Saibara's smithy.

4. On the first sunny day in Winter, go to Galen's house with a ball of yarn in your rucksack. Enter and offer the yarn to Nina.

5. The stocking event then will occur. In Cute, the English translation of the event is so convoluted as to be almost incomprehensible but most players will not care, as long as they know that the stocking will be found on the hook of their house when they return to it.

As you can see from the photographs, I try to trigger the event on the 1st day of Winter shortly after 6.00 a.m.

If, by some sad, sad chance, Nina DIES before you manage to raise her friendship level or perform the other steps in this dance, raise Galen to maximum level and enter his house in Winter to experience the last-chance stocking event, wherein he will tell you that Nina knitted a stocking for you before she died and then give it to you. And IF you are one of those players who didn't bother to befriend Nina during her lifetime, you should feel VERY guilty about it and regret your selfishness each time to see your Stocking hanging on the hook...

With respect to FoMT and MFoMT, the event is very similar, but the character who knits the sock for you is Ellen, Elli's grandmother. You must befriend her, then bring a ball of yarn to her house on any sunny day in Winter and hand it to her in order to trigger the event...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you need to give Galen yarn too?

Anonymous said...

no - just give it to nina

Anonymous said...

What if your past the first winter season? im on year 7 will this still work for me?

Anonymous said...

I had my child, so Nina has died, and I didn't have the maker shed when she was alive. I have it now and I have the yarn maker, so do I give it to Galen when I max out the friendship level?

Anonymous said...

I didnt have a maker shed when Nina was alive, and I now have my child so do I give the yarn to Galen?

Freyashawk said...

This information IS in my Guide, but yes, if Nina dies, Galen will give you the Stocking in an event. Evidently Nina knit it for you while she was alive, but you never knew as you were not friends with her.