Friday, September 26, 2008

Large Friendship Pendant in Island of Happiness

In Harvest Moon DS and Cute DS, the Friendship Pendants would act on a random selection of individuals to boost heart levels a little. If you equipped the Large Friendship Pendant before you leapt into bed at night, it would raise the affection/friendship levels of a random selection of individuals by 2 points. It did NOT raise every individual's levels but if you repeated this ritual nightly, it probably would select every individual at some point in time, thereby helping your character to achieve or remain at maximum popularity with the entire Valley.

In Island of Happiness, the Friendship Pendants appear to operate in a similar fashion. The Large Friendship Pendant appears to raise the heart levels of a random selection of individuals by a couple of points nightly. Even when I have ignored an individual, his/her heart levels rose gradually provided I equipped the Large Friendship Pendant nightly.

Another variable here is Festival Attendance. I never miss a Festival and that is a way to gain points with individuals. The combination of regular Festival attendance and equipping the Large Friendship Pendant is an effective one.

The only reason I am writing this post, however, is to state that the Friendship Pendants do not appear to affect the friendship levels of any of the Subsidiary Characters at all. It is only through regular conversation and the giving of preferred items as gifts that I have been able to raise the heart levels of any Subsidiary Character.

I would be interested in confirmation of this from other players, but in four years on the Island, equipping the Friendship Pendants RELIGIOUSLY, the Subsidiary Characters with whom I have interacted little remain at low heart levels.

Note that, until a Main Character has reached Yellow Heart level or higher, that character WILL leave the Island if you fail to perform the requisite actions that keep him/her on the Island regularly.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I have a question regarding horses. On good days I usually leave my horse and dog to run freely on the farm. One day I brought my horse and dog back into the stable because it was going to rain the next day. The next day I went to the stable to feed my dog and horse and my horse was not there! I searched all over my farm and the island but I still can't find my horse. Do you know where I can find my horse and why this occured? I'm in fall and I'm waiting for the horse festival to come hoping Marabelle will find my horse?

Freyashawk said...

Oh dear, this is the second report I have had of this problem...

Sometimes animals do disappear in Harvest Moon games or become 'stuck' inside walls. All you can do is wait and hope that it reappears in a different location. KEEP FEEDING THE HORSE, THOUGH! As long as you feed it, the horse should not become stressed. I am not certain how much the horse and dog are affected by bad weather. I always take mine inside when it rains or snows but horse and dog are not as concerned with bad weather as livestock or chickens. In any case, you do know the horse and dog won't die... at worst, you will have to raise its heart level again but if you continue to feed it daily, heart level should remain constant. keep your fingers crossed.

Anonymous said...

thanks. Do you know why this happens? Am i putting the animals too close to the wall??

Freyashawk said...

Anon, I wrote a post about this problem today as well as adding a little section to my General Guide. It is not your fault and there is nothing you can do to prevent it. I do believe it occurs simply because the Animals are programmed to move at random and the range of movement is very large. It may not happen to you again... but if it does, at least you know that it isn't permanent.

Anonymous said...

Hi I was wondering, where do you get the Friendship Pendant.
Thanks, I'm not very experienced.

Anonymous said...

You get friendship pendants only after you get access to the forest, a.k.a the mountains. Only when you have mined as deep as the
50th floor of the mine will you get orchailic (MIGHT BE SPELLED WRONG) which, if you get five you can use to make things such as pendants when you bring them in your rucksack to the general store (Chen's shop) and Charlie will teach you how to make things with certain amounts of orchailic.

Freyashawk said...

This information is in my General Guide, with a complete list of all the items that Charlie will make for you as well as the amount of ore needed for each.

When you have your first piece of orichalc, you will experience an Event when you enter Chen's Market. This will unlock the Accessories option with Charlie. Charlie is the one who sets Wonderfuls in Tools as well in IoH.

To be honest, though, I don't think the Friendship Pendants are as useful in IoH as they are in HM DS/Cute DS.