Sunday, January 11, 2009

Having Faith in Harvest Moon or... If Alicia is your Mother

Some players have been reluctant to marry Alicia in the 1st Generation of Rune Factory, wondering if that would put paid to their chances of obtaining Missing Page 1 of the Fireball Magic Spellbook. After all, the Request ordinarily is in the form of a question as to why Alicia never has married. If your character marries her, that question obviously no longer can be asked in the 2nd Generation.

Here is a video of the Request Event when Alicia is your character's mother:



Incidentally, when your character accepts Alicia's Request in the 2nd Generation and is asked why she never has married, the correct response is to declare that it is because she is 'too beautiful', although the incorrect response should lead to the same Reward ultimately. Rune Factory 2, after all, is different from most Harvest Moon games as well as Animal Crossing with respect to Rewards for Request Events. In Rune Factory 2, you usually are not penaliised when you give the 'incorrect' response to any question in the course of an Event.

This certainly is the case if Alicia is your Mother and you accept her Request in the 2nd Generation. The Request on the Message Board will be:

A Request from Alicia
I want you to answer me from your heart.
Answer a Question for Me?

It is the same Request that will appear if Alicia is NOT your Mother, but the actual question that she will ask will be different.

When Alicia is your Mother, the dialogue will be:


Alicia: Hey, Freya, do you think I'm a good mother?

Me: Why do you ask now?

Alicia: I just ... got worried about it all of a sudden. What do you think?

Your choices now are:
You’re a good mother.
I’m not sure.
Not really.

If you choose: You’re a good mother.

Me: You’re a good mother. I love you, Mom.

Alicia: Thank you! That’s such a relief! I feel better now. Thanks for talking with me. Oh, yes. Here, take this, Freya! You got: MISSING PAGE 1!
Alicia: If you give this to Mana when she’s at the school, she can fix one of your magic books for you! Thanks again!

If you choose: I’m not sure.

Me: I’m not sure…
Alicia: Hmm… I guess I need to try a little harder. Thanks for talking with me. Oh, yes. Here, take this, Freya! You got: MISSING PAGE 1!
Alicia: If you give this to Mana when she’s at the school, she can fix one of your magic books for you! Thanks again!

If you choose: Not really.

Me: Not really…
Alicia: What?! I’m trying hard here! What’s wrong with me? Tell me what’s wrong with me!
Me: (with tear) (That’s exactly what’s wrong with you…)

You will NOT obtain the Missing Page if you give this response but the Request will remain open on the Message Board. Thus, all you need to do is speak to Alicia again and she will ask the Question as if nothing had occurred previously. You then can choose one of the other two responses in order to obtain the Missing Page from the Fireball Spellbook.

Frankly, Rune Factory 2 is far more forgiving than any other Harvest Moon game. I do not know what sort of player would be mean enough to tell Alicia she is not a good mother. It almost broke my heart to do it simply in order to be able to write about it in the guide…

1 comment:

Nathan O'Riley said...

Cool. Now I can rest assured if I marry Alicia on my second file. And makes things more conflicted 'cause I wanna marry Rosalind too (Uncle Max, anyone?). Agh.