Thursday, March 19, 2009

Introduction to 'Covenant of the Plume', Valkyrie Profile

As a player, I generally am more attracted to Harvest Moon games now than combat role-playing games as I crave the therapeutic almost Zen-like quality of most traditional aspects of any Harvest Moon game. On the other hand, as a lifelong follower of martial arts and collector and lover of edged weapons, the combat and forging aspects of Rune Factory appeal to me tremendously.

The Northern European myth cycles are another love of mine. I therefore found the series of games known as Valkyrie Profile compelling, as they embraced the old tales of Yggdrasil, Odin, Freya and the Valkyrie and dealt with concepts of honour, duty and the conflicts and ultimate destiny both of humans and gods. The incredible beauty of the graphics, like those of Rune Factory, swept me into other realms and universes of which I never tire. There is poetry both in the concept and in the execution of games such as Rune Factory and Valkyrie Profile.

Here is the introduction to the newest Valkyrie Profile game for the DS system: 'Covenant of the Plume'.

If any one is wondering if I have finished with Rune Factory 2, that question would be answered in the negative. In my current game, I still need to win the BIG KNIFE before I will be satisfied...

No comments: